Friday, June 13, 2014

Yes, I am a Feminist

Feminism: A term more commonly used than understood. There is a lot of debate going over this for several years now and I see a lot of people use this as a cuss word these days as they feel feminists are just annoying women who dislike men and probably want to become men themselves.

Today I am busting 10 such myths surrounding Feminists.

(In this article, “I” represents every feminist.)


  1. Myth: I hate men
    Fact: Feminists aren't a bunch of people who sit together and bitch about men.  I, like almost every other person, have several men in my life whom I love and respect. So, I  only dislike people (regardless of gender) who resist equality.

  2. Myth: I believe women are superior creatures
    Fact: A true feminist believes in complete gender equality - male, female, transgender. Classifying me as a Goddess won't help me as I clearly know that women are not Goddesses but simple human beings like their male counterparts. I do not want a pedestal for women. What I demand, is equality!

  3. Myth: I only wear "short clothes" or dress like a man.
    Fact: Actually, I simply wear what I want to wear and fight for every person's right to do the same. Therefore, I also support a man who wants to wear a dress or a skirt.
  1. Myth: I am gay
    Fact: Being a feminist does not make me a gay person but it does make me a person who clearly knows that being gay is not a choice or an abnormality. It makes me a person who knows that when any two people, regardless of their gender, religion, or race come together in love - it is beautiful.

  2. Myth: I will never marry.
    Fact: Marriage, unlike love, is a choice and it is MY choice. Hence, I will not marry when my neighbours or relatives want me to. I will only marry if and when I want to.

  3. Myth: I will never cook or clean or take care of the house.
    Fact: I will cook, clean and scrub as much as my partner does. I am a member of the house and I will fulfill my duties to the best of my ability but I will also make sure that the duties are not assigned on the basis of my gender. Familial duties need to be divided among the members depending on their age and ability and not their gender.

  4. Myth: If I am a true feminist, I should go work with an NGO
    Fact: Supporting basic human rights does not mean that one necessarily has to join an NGO or become a selfless volunteer. Although it is a very noble thing to do, not everyone has the luxury or the guts to do so with unpaid loans and bills to be taken care of. However, as a feminist, I do stand up against gender inequality at home, at work and among friends and I encourage other women to do the same.

  5. Myth: I too am a sexist as I use the term "Femini-st".
    Fact: The word is popularly used only because there is a huge social divide between the genders currently. Since, the condition of women is so plightful at present, the term is simply used as a tool to spread awareness and to encourage women to stand up for themselves. I hope that the day would soon come, when this terminology is not needed at all.

  6. Myth: If I am a feminist, I am a woman.
    Fact: Anyone who demands equal rights for every gender is a feminist. I am fortunate to know many male feminists who fight for equal rights for every gender and I am unfortunate to know a good number of females who resist equality.

  7. Myth: I rant about the same “equality” and “rights” thing over and over again.
    Fact: I wouldn't need to... if  you would have listened the first time!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Good Rachana! This blog is small crisp and to the point. Moreover its very simple to read and understand which will surely help the reader clear his/her misconceptions about feminist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Pavithra! I am glad you like it and found it to the point. :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete